Friday 6 April 2012

My Easter Bunnies

Bunnies all over the world are getting ready to help the Big Bunny out on Easter Eve.

Here are the special buns I've had in my life.
Thumper

Ah. My first. Thumper came into my life the day before my 19th birthday, and I've had at least one bunny ever since.
Thumper LOVED carrots (especially fresh ones from the market) and bananas.

Thumper is the first owner of the bunny voice that I "do."

When young Hopper came along, he would copy EVERYTHING Thumper did...

Thumper always had one ear up, and Hopper would try (though his were quite floppy) and he would make the opposite ear go up.
Thumper is also know as "Miracle Bun 2003."

Eli is the official sponsor for dishing out mucho dinero for the vet bills to save a bun who should not have survived the illness she had (but she did!!!).  
Hopper

Hopper is my longest living bun (11 years) and had the most companions: Thumper, Hershey and Scooter.

Hopper was obsessively clean, and had the biggest, friendliest personality.
Hopper could tuck all his feet under his fur like this, and meditate.

If you touched him (and therefore contaminated his fur), he'd have to begin his grooming all over again!

Hopper had HUGE feet, and was a star at the school when I would take him in for an Easter visit.

In fact, he motivated more kids to write than any other technique I used (they would write Hopper letters, and he would write back... usually asking for carrots and the like).

Hopper was the perfect companion bunny to other bunnies, and loved human contact too.
 Hopper loved both Thumper and Hershey, and tried to pass on his wisdom to Scooter.

Hershey

Poor little Hershey.
Likely the cause of most of my bittersweet bunny heartache, though, true to his name, always more sweet.

Hershey was a beautiful gift to our family after Thumper went to the big bunny green in the sky and my friend Tammy was moving overseas.
She needed an adoptive family, and Hershey was a PERFECT match for Hopper.
Together, Hopper and Hershey were completely inseparable.
I called them the Old Retired Bachelor Buns.
 Each used to different companion bunnies, and they bonded to one another instantly and strongly.
As Hershey aged, he developed cataracts and an inner ear problem that made him hop in circles "Go left Hershey! Left!"

Hopper would be Hershey's guide bun and bring him everywhere he needed to go... food, litter box, you name it.
Hershey was a snuggle bun, and loved snuggling his best bunny friend the most.
 Scooter. AKA Scooterlicious.

Scooter became Hopper's wing bun in Hopper's later years, but you could tell that Hopper thought he was a young whippersnapper who needed to be "learned."
Hopper would diligently teach Scooter to groom, hop and chew with his mouth closed.

Scooter tried to be a good helper bun to Hopper. They really got along well.

Now, prior to Fiver's arrival, I planned to have ...Scooter fixed for obvious bunny reasons.

My friend Ainsley is a vet, and I made an appointment with her.

I dropped Scooter off to Ainsley at the clinic, and once I got home, Ainsley called....
"Um, Scooter's a girl."

What???

Poor Eli never really got used to calling Scooter "she" after years of calling Scooter "he."
Little Fiver

Oh, Fiver was a cutie. I had her name picked out (from Watership Down) for years.
She was the runt of her litter, and a cutie pie.

So lovable and snugglable.
Unfortunately, she had a congenital problem, and didn't make it past 12 weeks, but I was so happy she was ours!
Twofour (pronounced too-fur)

Well, Twofour is the last bun standing at the moment, and we affectionately call him "The Bun Who Almost Wasn't."
Twofour hitched a ride into town with his runt sister Fiver when she was being delivered by her breeder.
The lady said, "I know you only said you wanted one female, but this little male is looking for a home, would you like him for free?"
Uh, YEAH!
Anyone who knows me knows I can't turn away a bunny in need.
So, we got him "two-for" one (first pun of his name).
The name was actually chosen because he's my sixth bun, and rabbits can only count to 4 (consult Watership Down... all buns know this).
So, 2 + 4 is Twofour.
He's handsome, and smart as a whip.
He only rivals Hopper in intelligence.
He follows me around the house like a dog and stands on his hind legs in front of the fridge (AKA the carrot provider).
He's super social and tolerates the girls following him everywhere he goes in the house.

In fact, I think he initiates most "Chase the Bun" games in the house! 

Twofour is also the most travelled bun we've had, as he had a bird's eye view from his cage from the back our out car as we travelled across Canada to Yellowknife.

Hoppy Easter, everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your "harey tales"! Of course Thumper, the 'Big Guy' is still my all time favourite!

Happy Easter!

MM

Anonymous said...

That's a basket load of buns! I LOVE that Scooter was a girl :) too funny!

Happy Easter!

XO Kel

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...